Tuesday, April 07, 2009

What I get to be a part of on Tuesday nights

Tonight was our 20's group at New Life Oak Forest. I get to facilitate this awesome group each Tuesday night and it is always one of the highlights of my week. They are each and every one amazing people who are great to laugh with, share with, discuss with, pray with, drink coffee with, debate with, and talk about life with - amongst other things.

Tonight we started going through the 2nd of New Life's growth book series called "First Steps." The discussion was on the need to spend time in the Bible. It was a little hard to get started because of other distractions in the building, but once traction hit it was great.

We really spent a lot of time on Psalm 1, specifically verses 2 & 3:

...those who delight in the law of the LORD and meditate on his law day and night. They are like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers

The question raised was, "if we're the tree - how's your tree looking right now?"

One person shared, "needs some watering."
Another, "needs some serious weeding." A few people connected with that.
One said, "I'm realizing now that I don't even know if it was ever planted in the first place."
And another shared, "I'm an out of season fruit tree." That was a great answer we all connected with in some way I think.

The result is that we're all going to try and get into the Bible in a real way this next week. We each picked a different book that we're going to be in, mine was Hebrews. We'll email throughout the week thoughts and insights, culminating with a bigger time of sharing next Tuesday. This will be great for our group. It will be great for me I know.

I just love being with these people. We laugh a lot - but we share a lot, and are getting better at both. It's definitely been a help and motivation for me. These people are helping love & live Jesus more.

So...a shout out to the 20's group! You're all awesome - love ya's tons!!!
____________________________________

As a recap of tonight, here was my twittering throughout the time. I was in a goofy mood I guess at the beginning of the group and it just kept going with the tweets. Sorry people if it was distracting. I was trying to be subtle though. :o) And just for the record...I do think I had a good paraphrase of Psalm 119:105
  • 20's group: Audrey told a story about a creepy old guy she delt with today
  • 20's group: Sara told a story about a 5yr old kid who double birded and f-bombed her at daycare
  • 20's group: Michelle just got here late and Cease ditched us tonight
  • 20's group: El Rancho chips are the best. Sarah's new story isn't as funny
  • 20's group: OK, the story did end up being funny
  • 20's group: movie reviews going around
  • 20's group: Cari Flynn just walked in late, worship band is playing "Superstious" upstairs. Hilarious!
  • 20's group: Sarah has scary stories about kids in daycare
  • 20's group: Starting discussion, but we just heard that Jessica almost choked during communion once
  • 20's group: 2 Timothy 3:16
  • 20's group: How do we add to the Bible, maybe even not realizing it?
  • 20's group: Psalm 119:105 - The word of God is the headlights on my car and GPS for my trip.(Bobby's paraphrase)
  • 20's group: beautiful discussion on Psalm 1; how's the tree doing?
  • 20's group: Jessica just ordered 1, 2, 3 John with a side of Jude, but hold the Corinthians
  • 20's group: our group just plain rocks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! It is a hightlight to my week as well. We really do have an awesome group. Woot! One thing though.. You should learn how to spell my name. Let me introduce myself to you... Hi my name is Sarah. Now that we have met I expect you to remember my name. Lol Woo Woo!