Tonight we started going through the 2nd of New Life's growth book series called "First Steps." The discussion was on the need to spend time in the Bible. It was a little hard to get started because of other distractions in the building, but once traction hit it was great.
We really spent a lot of time on Psalm 1, specifically verses 2 & 3:
...those who delight in the law of the LORD and meditate on his law day and night. They are like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers
The question raised was, "if we're the tree - how's your tree looking right now?"
One person shared, "needs some watering."
Another, "needs some serious weeding." A few people connected with that.
One said, "I'm realizing now that I don't even know if it was ever planted in the first place."
And another shared, "I'm an out of season fruit tree." That was a great answer we all connected with in some way I think.
The result is that we're all going to try and get into the Bible in a real way this next week. We each picked a different book that we're going to be in, mine was Hebrews. We'll email throughout the week thoughts and insights, culminating with a bigger time of sharing next Tuesday. This will be great for our group. It will be great for me I know.
I just love being with these people. We laugh a lot - but we share a lot, and are getting better at both. It's definitely been a help and motivation for me. These people are helping love & live Jesus more.
So...a shout out to the 20's group! You're all awesome - love ya's tons!!!
As a recap of tonight, here was my twittering throughout the time. I was in a goofy mood I guess at the beginning of the group and it just kept going with the tweets. Sorry people if it was distracting. I was trying to be subtle though. :o) And just for the record...I do think I had a good paraphrase of Psalm 119:105
- 20's group: Audrey told a story about a creepy old guy she delt with today
- 20's group: Sara told a story about a 5yr old kid who double birded and f-bombed her at daycare
- 20's group: Michelle just got here late and Cease ditched us tonight
- 20's group: El Rancho chips are the best. Sarah's new story isn't as funny
- 20's group: OK, the story did end up being funny
- 20's group: movie reviews going around
- 20's group: Cari Flynn just walked in late, worship band is playing "Superstious" upstairs. Hilarious!
- 20's group: Sarah has scary stories about kids in daycare
- 20's group: Starting discussion, but we just heard that Jessica almost choked during communion once
- 20's group: 2 Timothy 3:16
- 20's group: How do we add to the Bible, maybe even not realizing it?
- 20's group: Psalm 119:105 - The word of God is the headlights on my car and GPS for my trip.(Bobby's paraphrase)
- 20's group: beautiful discussion on Psalm 1; how's the tree doing?
- 20's group: Jessica just ordered 1, 2, 3 John with a side of Jude, but hold the Corinthians
- 20's group: our group just plain rocks!