Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Monday Conversations: Chicago & Violence, the church & the LGBT community

My Monday was rather interesting, if I do say so myself. 

In the morning I joined in with some other New Life pastors to attend a press conference with the Chicago Clergy Coalition. The violence in Chicago has been beyond epidemic. The press conference was to announce the coalition's call for a weekend of peace in the city of Chicago. The tribune did a nice job reporting on the event; you can read their article HERE.

One pastor who spoke at the event made the comment, "12 people are killed and almost 60 wounded in Colorado and it is called a tragedy. In Chicago that is called Saturday night." It was really amazing to see so many church leaders from varying faith backgrounds in one place to stand before God for the city of Chicago.

Check out the Chicago Clergy Coalition's website for information on upcoming events that are planned in regards to addressing the violence in Chicago: www.chicagoclergycoalition.org

I left the press conference to head to Moody to be interviewed along with my friend Christopher Yuan on Moody Radio. We were on the Midday Connection program to talk about how the church can interact with the LGBT community. It was my first time doing something like this so I really had no idea how it would go, but it seemed like things went well.

You can listen to the interview by CLICKING HERE.

There were a lot of good comments/questions that came up on Midday's Facebook page(some not so good). My plan is to go through and write up a blog post this week responding to as many of them as I can.

Two issues close to my heart in one day. Not a bad way to start the week.

Praying for peace in Chicago - in more areas than one.

No comments: