Thursday, September 10, 2009

How do you come back from your daughter dying?

Though there aren't a ton of Christians artists/bands that I really like, Steven Curtis Chapman has indeed always been a favorite. I honestly can't think of one of his projects that I'd consider a "bad album." Sure, there might be a song, or at the most two songs on a CD that I don't care for (Ex: Dancing with the Dinosaurs), but normally 8 out of 10 songs are great. Of those, 2-3 are usually amazing to a caliber that other artists can't compete or compare (Ex: Speechless, Magnificent Obsession). He's consistently a quality artist, consistently an incredible and fresh song writer.

And then his adopted daughter was killed in a freak car accident.

Along with everyone else who knows who he is, I was completely shocked by the news (article). Being Baylee's dad, my heart broke for him. Broke! I remember holding Baylee tight that night and praying, "Be with him Jesus. My heart feels his pain, but at the same time I can't imagine it. I don't want to."

How can he come back from that?
How can he keep singing and performing?

And if he does keep going, what's the first single going to be? It's not like he can just ignore the tragedy. At the same time, I'd selfishly think, "don't let him sugarcoat it."

Well, SSC's new song is out. It's called "Heaven is the Face." And as always, as should have been expected...it is amazing!!! And it is so for two reasons.

It's amazing because it's the same quality music and song writing I've always expected and received from Steve Curtis Chapman. The rhythmic guitar playing, the melody, the lyrics - pure and total SSC - as always.

It's also amazing because he put his heart out there. He didn't sugarcoat it at all. Instead he's honestly and genuinely shared part of what he's experiencing with us in a 3min, 46 sec song.

Here's the tune, followed by a video of his comments about it. I encourage you to give it a listen, maybe it can be an encouragement to you or someone you know.





No comments: