Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Important life lesson from a Halo 4 developer

You don't have to be a video game fan to appreciate this. No...seriously.

Halo is one of the biggest video game series in history. Master Chief, the main character, is up there with Mario, Pac Man, Solid Snake, and Zelda. Halo 4, the newest chapter in the saga is currently in development and is for sure a highly anticipated title. 

I read this morning that Ryan Payton, one of the creative directors for Halo 4, is stepping down from his position. This is obviously a big blow for the game's development. It also begs the question as to why he's doing it.

The whole article about his decision can be read HERE, but this is the part that really struck me:

"For somebody who loves this industry as much as I do and know how lucky I've been, I never thought I'd get to a point where I was so drained. That was when I knew I had to do something else," said Payton. "I think time is the most valuable thing we have, and I've decided that I'm not going to waste one more day working on something that doesn't speak to my values."

Like I said, you don't have to be a gamer for that bolded line to hit home. 
  • Can you articulate your core values?
  • Does how you spend your time reflect your core values?
  • What are you wasting time on?
Answering those questions will take courage. A ton of it.

Ryan's statement reminded me of a song by Chris Rice, "Life means so much." 
If you have time, it's worth a listen:
 

No comments: