Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tears for Newtown

Of all He has given us there is nothing
more powerful than choice.
It is a hammer, full of potential and danger,
able to destroy or to build. 
Yesterday someone used it to shatter.

Anger and grief are predominate 
and in my solidarity with the parents 
I think I can safely say that we don't want 
to see adolescence interviewed about their 
experiences and we don't want to hear 
why you think you still need your gun.

Apologize for my anger?
I don't think so. I hope not. 
He trashed a temple because evil men
took advantage of innocence 
so my feelings right now seem to resonate.
Trashing a temple today would be worthless
but putting a hole in drywall 
would probably feel pretty good.

Brokenhearted implies there are pieces
that can be taped together or cracks
that can be sewn up for mending.
When the moments we dread come to be
our hearts become dust
so typical sympathetic band-aids
become worthless and slightly insulting. 

So I grieve for the parents in Newtown.
In their beyond understanding pain 
I beg God to bring His beyond understanding peace.
Though with much smaller tears, we weep with them.

No comments: