Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A New Direction

Really appreciate the comments I've received from my last blog post.  It seems I'm not the only one who has experienced a season like that.  Hearing others feedback has clarified for me a community reality: it's important to be honest and open about such things.  I never want to be the leader who puts on the "I have it all together" facade. 

I had someone say to me at church a couple weeks ago, "Why share with others what I'm going through if I know they can't help?"  My answer to the person was, "Because maybe the person you share with is going through the same thing.  And maybe you sharing with them will be the encouragement that they are looking for: they'll know they aren't alone."

Last month, when I was going through my rough season, I had a great conversation with my friend & mentor Bob Tissot. 

After listening to my story, Bob says to me, "Normally I'd want to help someone in your shoes figure out some direction and develop a plan.  But the word that keeps coming to mind right now is Hebrews 11:8 "It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going."  Maybe that's the thing for you - God doesn't want you to know where He's leading you.  I think this is what's important for you right now - not what's going to happen in 6 months or a year, but what does faithfulness and obedience look like today?" 

Exactly what I needed to hear.

So Hebrews 11:8 has become my new life verse.  What does faithfulness & obedience to God look like TODAY? 

Yesterday I watched this video of Francis Chan, a great pastor from California and author of Crazy Love, who explains the season he is in.  Francis feels led by God to step away from his church, which he has been at for the last 16 years, and move into a new direction. 

The amazing thing is that he doesn't know where he's going or what he's doing, he just knows that God is leading him into another direction.  He's living Hebrews 11:8! 

Check out the video, it's very encouraging & thought provoking:

Francis Chan is stepping out in faith... from Catalyst on Vimeo.

No comments: