Monday, October 31, 2011

No Slutty Halloweens

This is a picture of Baylee's Halloween costume: Hello Kitty. 

My adorable little girl.
My funny, caring, outgoing, social, loving, observant, full of life, beautiful little girl. 

As her daddy I take it as a deep personal responsibility to shower her with love, affirmation, empowerment, wisdom, and build up her self-respect so that when she is older she doesn't feel it necessary to dress up like a slut in order to have fun on Halloween.

Her decisions will be her own.
But it's my role to give her a foundation to make those decisions, and impart to her through our relationship the self-respect, confidence, and know how to be able to make the best ones. 

Dear Lord - please help me! 

 What matters is not your outer appearance—the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes—but your inner disposition. Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:3-4

The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11

2 comments:

timandmichelle (timandshelly) said...

So true!!! I see how every age group is getting "sexier" and that goes for infants and toddlers too. No longer can a lady bug costume be just a lady bug costume...the body of the costume has to have the look of a ribbon lace-up bustier. It makes me cringe and then just so sad...here's to awesome, godly dads who will protect their girls in just the way you have described!!! My kids have one of those dads. So glad yours do too!

Kim said...

I find myself torn whenever I talk with someone about "sluttiness" and the specific definition of what is or isn't "slutty" (there is none).

But I'm definitely in agreement that the oversexualization of young girls is a problem ("sexy" Halloween costumes is just one manifestation of that). Love, wisdom, empowerment - all the things you mentioned are great things! And I think they do set the foundation.

When girls become women and dress up for Halloween, or Renaissance Festival or the club, or wherever- I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as it's not done to make others like them/pay attention or think they're cool.

And Baylee's costume is super awesome and adorable! :)