Friday, March 02, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Today would have been Theodor Seuss Geisel's 108th birthday. I was thinking earlier today that I have never heard anyone say that they dislike his work. Sure it might have happened, it isn't like I have a photographic memory. But I really don't think I've ever heard someone say that. Have you? Seriously - who would? (Don't tell me - I honestly don't want to hear about it. The world can't have gotten that bad)

When I was younger Green Eggs & Ham and Horton Hears a Who were my top favorites. My fourth grade class did Horton as a play and I was one of the vultures who carried Horton away. Skimming his work on Amazon's page for the good Dr, titles I had forgotten are coming back to me like my grandma had just read them to me yesterday: In a People House, There's a Wocket in my Pocket, and Mr Brown Can Moo, Can You? When I was a little older and in school I remember being fascinated learning that Yertle the Turtle was about Hitler. And I remember reading and rereading and rereading and rereading Oh, the Places You'll Go.

Now I have two little ones of my own and full circle comes around again. Dr Seuss is back like he never left. The other night I told Baylee to go in her room to pick a book and I would be there in a minute to read it before bed. When I came in she was alls smiles, "Green Eggs and Ham tonight Daddy." And I was all smiles as well. "Good choice Baylee. Good choice." Now we say the lines together and laugh and giggle. These are the parent moments I dreamed of, reading a book to her that meant so much when it was read to me. I hope that one day she gets to read it to her own little one.

Because that is a legacy. And Dr. Seuss has truly left one.

What is your favorite Dr Seuss book? Why that one?
 

No comments: